Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner and Black Friday

My 2008 Thanksgiving went really great. I could not even believe it. Mom and I spent dinner with the P family. Mrs. P and my Mom attended the same high school together, so when Mrs. P's husband heard my Mom's in town, the family immediately invited us for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a wonderful and very relaxed party unlike the ones I've attended in the past. The company was great, there was so much food, and lots of stories to tell and listen to. Aside from the sumptuous dinner, I also met a couple of new acquaintances and friends. I was such a fool to dread the arrival of the holidays.

One of the days I've actually been looking forward to is the day after Thanksgiving - Black Friday. This is one of the busiest shopping days of the year, and it also signals the beginning of the Christmas season. The big word for that day is SALE; some as low as 75%. Prior to Black Friday, I spent a lot of time online researching which stores were giving the best deals. On Friday at 5 AM, Mom and I braved the chilly temperatures and headed for the mall. The mall was filled with shoppers busily hugging their latest toy purchase or pushing carts full of their new acquisitions. I was impressed at how organized the stores were in dealing with the huge number of shoppers, as more cashiers were added, store workers were ushering people to the right line making the check out process very smooth and orderly. Since I detest crowds, I made sure I had a shopping list, went straight for the goodies I wanted, paid for my stuff, and got out. I bought some new work clothes, sweets, and DVDs. Here are a few photos of my new goodies:

Yes, I finally got my very own Wii Console. It's been on my "wish list" for a long time. It feels really great to finally have one, and playing it is much more fun. Anyone up for a Wii challenge?

These movies were so cheap I couldn't resist ($3.99 - $5.99), so I bought a few additions to my movie collection.

Speaking of freebies, I got a free limited edition, handmade, glassblown "monkey hugging the world" Christmas ornament from my favorite store. There were a hundred of these given to the first 100 customers of the day.

In addition to the Christmas ornament, now hanging on my tree, I also won two wine glasses and a serving bowl from a scratch ticket from the same store. I guess this is one reason why it is my favorite store.
*******

What is Black Friday?

* According to Wikipedia, "the term "Black Friday" originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day. More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit). It is not a term of endearment... "Black Friday" usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing." To read more on Black Friday's origins and history, please click here.

My take? It is simply called "black" because of the stress it brings...lol.

14 comments:

  1. Nice freebies. And oh, I'm so tempted to get Wii. Been contemplating about getting one the past months. =) That was indeed a great weekend that you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wits, Truly a fabulous weekend. I love my Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Black day. Why was it call Black day, anyway? It made me think of the Black Saturday... (forgive me for being ignorant ^^)

    Thanks for the comment. I hope you and your mom (w/ the whole family) had a great day on her bday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nhemskie, I did look into Wikipedia about why it's called Black Friday. According to Wiki, "the term "Black Friday" originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day. More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit)."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your were referring to the Black Friday when Jesus died...yun pala the Friday when your pocket dies. he! he! Sana may ganyan din kami dito...but then, lagi din naman may sale dito, especially when paydays arrive (wise malls!)!

    Have a great day kayni! Hope you're doing well there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the monkey hugging the world, so cool, i wish freebies like those will also be available here in my favorite store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kg, Yes, Black Friday simply means bargain/sale shopping...lol. I needed the retail therapy.

    Sheng, I really thought the "monkey ornament" is really cool too. I think it also has an environmental message - taking care of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i hope there could be "black friday" in korea.....kkk.....everything is way too expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've been eyeing the WII too. lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to have a Wii. Maybe I can gift hubby with it, just so I have something for him. When he goes to work, I can use it. Hehehe!

    Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and Yay! for the great deals and freebies you got.

    Now on to Christmas....:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow your one of the first 100...your such an early bird.
    I love those freebies very cute :)

    Glad you enjoy the celebration (also the black friday) though tiring :)

    Have a splendid day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryle, It's interesting to know that Korea can be a very expensive place to live. I'm sure they'd have days when things go on sale there. Thanks for visiting.

    SleeplessKL, You better get your own Wii, so that when I visit KL, we can have a Wii challenge...lol.

    Josiet, I think that's a good way to get your own Wii...pretend it's the husbands...lol. I know, I am planning on Christmas too.

    Hi Jeanny, Yes, Thanksgiving break can be both fun and exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great Thanksgiving.

    I was trying to figure out what that Nicole Kidman film is underneath the other DVDs. hehe. So how is The Golden Compass? Any good?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will, I did like "The Golden Compass" and I am looking forward to the next one. I am also thinking of reading the book.

    ReplyDelete