Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sense and Sensibility

I like Elinor. She's reserved, composed, and seems to be in control of her emotions at all times. I saw Elinor as the voice of reason, just like when she reacted towards Marianne accepting the horse from Willoughby. Elinor is more in-touched with reality, and I guess that comes easily becuase she is the eldest of the three Dashwood girls. As the eldest, Elinor has the responsibility to be of help by any means to her mother.

Marianne on the other hand is Elinor's opposite. I don't like Marianne's explosive, emotional, and showy characteristics. She's the type of person who'd follow her heart and emotions before anything else. But, she seem to value Elinor's opinion a lot, and vice versa. Marianne allows her emotions to cloud her judgement. For example, by choosing the younger and philandering Willoughby over the honorable Colonel Brandon. Well, of course, Marianne doesn't know that at that time.

In this novel, Jane Austen portrays two different characters. The "sense" and the "sensible." I think she was trying to teach balance - that women can be both sense and sensible. In the end, Marianne and Elinor have their happy ending, but I think that's because both characters have truly supported each other; teaching each other that both characters can come to a middle ground.

This weekend, I'll be watching the movie as well. Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. If you can get a copy, this BBC adaption is very good as well (it played on UK tele last year) Hugs, xx: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sense-Sensibility-Complete-Charity-Wakefield/dp/B001061UPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233688490&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lailaa, I checked the website, and I think this is the same one they're playing at PBS this weekend. I can't wait to see this. Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the movie--the one with Emma Thompson and Allan Rickman. The dialogue is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, I like Allan Rickman. He's a really good actor, and so is Emma Thompson.

    ReplyDelete