Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Travel Talk

It is a rainy and gloomy day in D.C. It's not helping that I feel sluggish and lazy too. It could be the weather or the frustratingly slow traffic this morning; I can't tell.

I think my brain decided to go on vacation earlier than it should because all I could think about is Vegas. This feeling is probably conjured by my travel backpack sitting in my bedroom ready for another adventure. With my travel experiences, I have learned to skillfully fit all my clothes and travel necessities in one, red backpack, and this I do for trips that are a week or less. Last year, a fellow passenger en route to London was astonished that I was only carrying one backpack for a week vacation; she was lugging two suitcases plus her huge carry on bag. I laughed.

I find traveling with a backpack liberating for the following reasons: 1) it's faster to move around airports especially with strict security checks these days; 2) I don't worry if my check-in luggage will make it to our final destination (talk about bad luck in that movie "Meet The Fockers" ; 3) I don't worry about weight restrictions; 4) my attention is "only" in one backpack so I'm not stressed if I forgot something on my seat or at the airport (travelers carrying too many bags end up forgetting their stuff because their attention is so divided); and 5) less hassle and less stress. I do know that traveling with kids is a different story.

With packing, this is even if you have packed everything on your list, you'll always find out later that you need something that's not in your luggage. I have convinced myself that it doesn't make sense worrying about forgetting or not having enough in my travel bag because I can always run to the nearest store or pharmacy to get what I needed.

13 comments:

  1. My whole body is screaming for a roadtrip or a vacation. I need some change of surroundings, some new places to explore or revisit dear ones.

    I haven't travelled with only a backpack yet. But I travel light just the same.

    When's the big Vegas bonanza?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my feet is aching for a trip too, kaya lang ang offer sa akin, business/official trip. ayoko nga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you could follow it too. :) Everybody loves to travel! I'm seriously getting to two destinations this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you can travel with one backpakc? is this no matter how long the vacation? bilib ako!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Backpack is a thing of the past for me. Haha! With a kid in tow, it always look like we are bringing the whole house with us whenever we travel.

    Vegas, wow. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow one backpack lang! bow! ako i pack light naman but i always end up bringing 2 bags haha! one is for my clothes and the other one for my essentials which is a body bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. during one of our trips, D and I met a couple of backpackers who've been backpacking all over africa and asia for three months with just one backpack each. mula noon idol na namin sila. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just one backpack??? Wow you do travel light ha! :)
    Even if it is for less than a week, D's backpack will be filled with just my shoes LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also get the same reaction when it comes to traveling light. i usually don't bring stuff that i know may be available in shops :)

    hope you get your travel adventure soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's true Kayni ;) no worries for your luggage and waiting time. nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. makes a lot of sense. i know a friend who's also a backpacker. she's with me for a couple of weeks, and she only had one small backpack with her. wow. pinakita niya sa akin kung paano siya mag-fold ng damit. kewl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. we are same, i also carry only one backpack whether i travel or go mountain climbing.. i learned to pack economically in my mountain climbing years way back in college... it's no fun to travel or mtn. climb with a heavy load,, it's suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ kg, usually, the one backpack rule applies to a 10 day travel. the secret there is just do laundry...lol.

    @ simply effortless, thank you for the visit. i'm already following :).

    @ daphne, wow, that's a lot of shoes...lol.

    ReplyDelete