Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Oahu's Waimea Beach

It was near sunset when we reached Waimea Beach; the sun was on and off due to the hovering clouds sailing the sky. Still, Waimea was perfect and picturesque at sundown. One of the must-see beaches in the North Shore and also a favorite for surfers because sometimes the waves can go 30 ft or more during the winter months.

Waimea Bay is also home to the Quicksilver in Memory of Eddie Aikau surf competition. Honoring legendary Hawaiian waterman Eddie Aikau, this special contest only happens during massive swells when “The Bay calls the day.” The sport’s elite surfers are called between December and February to surf Waimea when the waves are at a minimum of 20-feet high (30-foot face heights). In the last 24 years, the call for this epic competition has only been made eight times. (Source here.)
Rescue ready.
A church tower nearby.
Swimmers.
I don't recommend this but if you are brave enough - jump with caution.
A nice place to relax and spend the afternoon.
Waimea's famous rock.
How I wish I was there - now.
The sea visiting the shore and making a splash.
Sunny side.
Jump!

5 comments:

  1. kayni...i would love to jump off that large rock. problem is, i don't know how to swim! he he!

    by the way, i have a new site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted my entry for your b/day give away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's thrilling to see those guys jump. I don't think I would be able to accomplish that in this lifetime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kg, I know. I wanted to jump but the waves were too big that day.

    @ Photo Cache, I read it and thank you.

    @ Wits, I think I'd like to do this jump during the summer - the water is calmer during the summer. I hope I can summon the courage to jump though...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is the water below that diving point deep enough for safe jumping? i guess the deep turquiose color is a tell-tale sign of its depth, but look at how close it is to the shore!

    ReplyDelete