Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Part 2: DC Cherry Blossom's Festival 2010

A few have asked how long the blossoms last, so I've decided to include more info and a little bit of history about the DC Cherry Blossoms:

"The blooming of the cherry trees around the Tidal Basin in Washington, D.C. has come to symbolize the natural beauty of our nation's capital city. The famous trees, a gift from Japan in 1912, signal Washington’s rite of spring with an explosion of life and color that surrounds the Tidal Basin in a sea of pale pink and white blossoms. Thousands of city residents and visitors from across the nation and around the world come here to witness the spectacle, hoping that the trees will be at the peak of bloom for the Cherry Blossom Festival."

* 2010 Bloom Watch
- Average Peak Bloom Date: April 4
- 2010 Peak Bloom Date: March 31
- 2010 Blooming Period: March 27 - April 5

(Source:http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=404)

Although the cherry trees bloom once a year and the blooms last for almost two weeks, their beauty and impact can last a lifetime. It makes you yearn and look forward to the next blooming. I admit, I couldn't stop taking photos while I was there. It was blissfully maddening. Being surrounded by so many flowers makes you want to just capture it all - every flower, every angle, and every corner.

Some of the flowers just peek and bloom through the tree trunks

Walking through a canopy of flowers

It looks as if it snowed in spring

A hint of culture from where the trees came from

Soon, the water will turn pink and white, as the petals fall off from the tree crowding the lake

I think I want to do this one next year

Bending tree beauty

Jefferson Memorial surrounded by beauty

A long but delightful walk

And so we walked and stopped to take pics for the umpteenth time

And so next year, I'll definitely see the cherry blossoms again.

To learn more about the history of the DC Cherry Trees, go here: https://ncrcms.nps.gov/chbl/cherry-blossom-history.htm.

9 comments:

  1. That's the perfect spot for a first date don't you think? I'm sure honeymooners would also pick this as a destination for honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Photo Cache, I agree. It's also a place for a wedding. I think the wedding photos would be awesome :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm falling in love with the cherry blossoms in your pics!!! super ganda kayni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These photos are awesome Kayni. I like cherry blossoms but I haven't really seen an actual one yet. They must look so beautiful up close. I'd love to see a photo of the waters turning white or pink. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your added info about cherry blossoms challenged me to touch it for real. 2 weeks lang pala. I think if I'm able to see this, in any part of the globe, that would be more than enough for the lifetime. Ang ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that's beautiful kayni! i haven't been able to enjoy sakura season in tokyo these year although the weather has been good these past few weeks ... hahaha! scared of crowds in my current condition. thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im SOOOO inlove with the photos you have posted! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a real cherry blossom. Who knows I might be able to visit DC one day and I'll time it with the festival. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww! that's beautiful.parang sarap magdate jan. hehehe

    thanks for sharing these awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete