Friday, April 9, 2010

Puerto Rico's El Yunque Rainforest

I think this will be the last of the Puerto Rico series for now until I return there again; I intend to. Apart from exploring the historical places in Old San Juan, we managed to book a half-day tour to El Yunque. I've been to several rainforests like the ones in Hawaii, but I thought it would still be great to experience Puerto Rico's own rainforest. You know, El Yunque did not disappoint.

"The true sub tropical 'Rain forest' occupies very little area in Puerto Rico, only a single, crescent shaped, band on the windward side of the El Yunque mountains. It lies wholly within the El Yunque National Forest Reserve. This life zone is characterized by an annual total of 3,400 mm of rain. Its' main features are the Sierra Palms and a superabundance of epiphytes..." ("Forest Legacy Proposal" by the Department of Natural Resources of the Government of Puerto Rico.)

Welcome to El Yunque also called as the Caribbean National Forest.

Our first stop was La Coca Falls
La Coca Falls

I cannot remember the name of this flower, but in the middle of those pretty petals there's a sac filled with stinky liquid.

Giant ferns
Pink Ginger
Braided tree trunk
Knock on a termite's house

This view reminds me of the Philippines.

According to our funny guide, this is the Puerto Rican Mickey Mouse.

Yokahu Tower

Window from the Yokahu Tower

Ok, you might be asking why oh why did I take a photo of this Bamboo. Well, here's why, the Bamboo and the tall Coconut tree population planted in El Yunque are from the Philippines brought by the Spaniards in the earlier days. Isn't that amazing?

This is the tree that produces the stinky flower.

How giant is a Giant Fern?

At some point during this trip, the batteries of my camera died. I was so disappointed, but a trip to El Yunque is a must. It was a wonderful experience to learn about the Taino Indians and learn about the different species that live and thrive in the rainforest.

So until next time Puerto Rico!


6 comments:

  1. It does have a Phil feel to it, I guess all tropical settings are alike.

    Too bad your battery died, always happen to me especially during crucial times - like I would shoot and shoot before the pyrotechnics on the 4th of July, but once the fireworks are lit, my battery would die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. natawa naman ako kay kuya Puerto Rican Mickey Mouse! haha! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shots sis! I wish I could visit that place.

    Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. your photos are so nice! puerto rico looks like a very good travel destination. i especially like the pink flower and the termite house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. plants that grow in these mini "forests" are nice ano? it's always great to see some different species when walking in nature! :)

    by the way, did you swim in the falls? :)

    ReplyDelete