Thursday, July 10, 2008

DC Dining

On Tuesday, B and I dined at Rasika, one of the newly opened Indian restaurants in DC. The place was warm and cozy, and service was fast and friendly. I'm not a fan of Indian cuisine, but I heard great reviews about Rasika's food. B had the Fish Chutneywala (tilapia cooked in a banana leaf with mint, cilantro, and coconut) with rice and Cucumber Raita (cucumber and yogurt relish). I ordered the Palak Chaat (a crispy spinach with sweet yogurt, tamarind, and date chutney) and the Lamb Roganjosh (served with caramelized onions, tomatoes, and garam masala). The Lamb Roganjosh was cooked very tender, but the taste was just okay. I had a Mango Lassi (mango smoothie with yogurt) to go with it. The mango smoothie also helped in neutralizing the spiciness.

We didn't bother ordering dessert, as we were too full after the main entree. Overall, B and I agreed that the Palak Chaat tasted perfect. Alas, it was the only thing that we agreed on. Our meal cost us about $55 (excluding tip), so it wasn't too pricey compared to other high end DC restaurants. Rasika's food was okay, and their service was excellent.

12 comments:

  1. Mmm! Sounds yummy! I haven't had the pleasure of trying out different cuisines but indian food sounds like something I can like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I remember about my first and last trip to DC was how extensive the food choices were. My cousin brought me to a Thai and an Indian restaurant. The food was great in both places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one with crispy spinach sounds yummy. My first indian dining experience was in New Bombay Restaurant in the Philippines. I had a rose lassi (you ordered mango lassi). The next time you chance on a shrimp curry, go try it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. layrayski, If you love curry and some spice, then you will like Indian food. I can't handle too much spice though.

    em dy, Yes, living in DC gives you so many choices in terms of cuisine. I love Thai, but I still can't handle the spice from Indian food.

    witsandnuts, Yes, the palak chaat was really delicious. I'll order shrimp curry next time. I love shrimp or any seafood is a sure hit to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello sis! Sarap naman!

    but thai food is very spicy too, dba?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sis, Yes, Thai food can get spicy, but I really like their integration of sauces with peanuts. Plus, I get to drink lots of Thai iced tea =). Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ay lab indian food. gusto ko rin yung mango lassi. I've never paid more than $13 though for an Indian meal. hehe

    >>B and I agreed that the Palak Chaat tasted perfect. Alas, it was the only thing that we agreed on.

    This was a date? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wil, You must have the palate for Indian spice. Nah, it wasn't a date. B is my foodie buddy, when we graduated from college, we made a pact about trying all the different restaurants here in DC, so here we are =). By the way, B's looking for a bf. Could you recommend someone? he he he.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love indian food - that sounds yummy, we just had an indian meal last week too,, but yours sounded more yummy, they don't serve some of the things you mentioned plus the price of the meal was really good almost a bargain - well compared to here of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toni, I don't often eat Indian food, but it's one cuisine that I'm quite interested on. I think I'd want to learn how to prepare them =). Well, we did go to a trendy restaurant, but that's something B and I do once a month just to spoil ourselves sometimes. Sort of a girls' night out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a nice indian cookbook that I use whenever I cook indian dishes. I can recommend it to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Toni, oh yes, would love to know what cookbook you use. thank you.

    ReplyDelete