Monday, January 12, 2009

New Year in Hawaii

Inauguration is the word in DC. The city is preparing to welcome millions of people, so imagine the preparation involved. It's a mixture of excitement, nervousness, and happiness. I am a bit worried how the city will handle such a huge number of people. While a lot of out-of-towners are settling into the city, a lot of DC residents are planning their get-away...lol. I still haven't decided.

Here's a continuation of my holidays from my homestate. Enjoy the photos.

**********

New Year's "Must Have" Food


It's been known that "malagkit" or "kakanin" should be prepared for the New Year, so that the family remains close together and that the round shaped "kutchinta" signifies wealth. Yes, my family follows all these beliefs. Mom and Grandma prepared all sorts of food - pansit, macaroni salad, a bunch of rounded fruits like oranges, mochi, and more.

Fireworks Lighted the Path for 2009


The women in my family held sparklers to light up the path for 2009, while the men enjoyed firing up aerial fireworks.

When the clock struck 12 AM, the sky was on fire to welcome 2009! In Hawaii, as long as you have a permit, you can set firecrackers. The fireworks on the photo are from residential houses.

New Year Temple Visit

Entrance to the Byodo-in Temple.

A peaceful pond

A busy Temple especially during the first week of the New Year.

Peaceful, quiet and welcoming.

The Koi Pond

Mom ringing in peace for the New Year.

The Meditation Garden

Does it look familiar? The Temple was used in the popular TV series Lost. This is the Byodo-in Temple located in the Valley of the Temples, situated at the foot of the Ko'olau Mountains.

This is one of my favorite places in O'ahu. I just love how the Ko'olau overlooks the Temple. According to the Temple's history, "The Byodo-In Temple was built in the 1960's to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the first Japanese immigrant workers in Hawaii who came to work in the sugar plantation fields. It is a replica of the 950-year-old Byodo-in Temple located in Uji, Japan on the southern outskirts of Kyoto."

13 comments:

  1. the temple pics makes me want to visit hawaii in the future...i think it's an awesome place.....my aunt and her family also lives there....happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryle, Happy New Year! I'm actually looking forward to the Lunar New Year as well. I hope you'll get to visit your relatives in Hawaii in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the preps for for New Year's eve at home. We also do something similar to that except for the kakanin. That's a nice concept, sticking together. We'll observe that next time, heehee. But I remember we used to always have tikoy when I was younger.

    Your recent posts attract me to visiting Hawaii in the future. It looks like a dear place. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wits, Hawaii is near and dear to me since we moved there. I love the culture, the people and it's truly a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice pics kayni! the temple looks nice and so peaceful. parang ang sarap magmeditate.

    ganda sa hawaii! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was there anything built by the Filipinos to sanctify their early arrival in Hawaii also? Maybe a "Nipa Hut" will do, hehe...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful temple scenes... reminded me of Kyoto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi kayni, i didn't know there were japanese temples in hawaii.. interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very nice temple! When I think of Hawaii, I think of tourists and beaches and not that beautiful and so peaceful place.

    Best of 2009 to all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kg, Artemis, Josiet and Angeli, Thank you. There are several temples in Hawaii including Hawaiian Temples.

    TB, I know there's a Rizal statue in Chinatown and there are tons of Filipino restaurants...lol. I'm not so sure if there's anything that commemorates the first arrival of Filipino plantation workers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's the reason why we always have malagkit during new year. Now ko lang nalaman :)

    Awesome place. Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeanny, Sticky malagkit...lol...keeps the family together, so eat a lot of kakanin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To commemorate the Filipinos arrival - Kalihi was born, hehe...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete