Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Office Scene

I'm too eager to get this week behind me for several reasons. First, the snowstorm which really put a damper on my spirits; second, death in the family which made me emotional and angry (anger for reasons I can't disclosed); and, third, annoying office politics and gossip. There's this silent war between two or three coworkers, and they all end up whining in my office which makes me sort of the shock absorber for all their queries and qualms. The two, as the third doesn't complain much, are so insensitive that even if they see me busy and purposely ignoring them, they'd still sit in and keep up with the dissing and hissing each other talk. Yesterday, I was on the brink of losing it, when I apologetically told the hisser, "I'm sorry I have to do this, but you have to leave because I have a deadline to meet." He was silent at first, but then got up and left.

This morning, the hisser came back with more news. Sigh, some people just don't listen. I think my next step would be to remove the guest chairs in my office. How would you handle this?

9 comments:

  1. i feel you kayni, there are times when the boss irritates me to hell that i can just be mum about things she is telling me to do. and then she comes back and telling me to do the thing again when i have already told her it's not within my bounds, some people just don't listen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheng, i don't know with some people, but they simply don't listen. i think that's the problem. if i was the one told to leave, i think i would have gotten the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so the hisser is a "he"? how many guys actually do that?

    i think very office have those people. kami nga less than 50 lang sa group may mga tension pa eh!

    there are people like that...insensitive. well, maybe you just have to be straightforward to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those people as so pathetic. You just did the right thing Kayni. :)

    Have a stree-free weekend dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kg, I'm just getting tired of telling this person to leave. This is not the first time I did this to him. I just think he doesn't get the point.

    Jeanny, Thank you. You have a relaxing weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it's easier to just ignore people, but sometimes they're so persistent. Grrr. I understand how a tough this week is for you, and don't you just week you could sleep all through these, right? I hope you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mordsith, it's been tough waking up in the morning and it's been tougher to convince myself to get up and get to work...sigh. the weekend is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he he he, at least it means the hissers come to you because the trust you, and perhaps you are usually a good listener when you are not busy.. maybe you better become a psychiatrist or a counsellor, they should pay you for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have the same things happening at work. also have a hard time dealing with it..

    ReplyDelete