Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Travel And Genetics

Flowers at the historic Williamsburg.

I just had a four-day weekend, so I'm a bit reluctant to go back to work today. Saturday and Sunday were spent exploring the historic town of Williamsburg; that place never fails to enchant me. PW and I got our annual passes, so we can return and enjoy the park and museums anytime of this year. I'm so glad that summer is here (except for the humidity) because it also signals the start of summer road trips. I love going on road trips, and I'm hoping this summer will be filled with them. Travel, local or international, is such a wonderful passion because it never fails to teach me new things and appreciate what I already have.

Tuesday was spent at NIH for my usual aplastic anemia tests. I finally got my genetic test results and also got a good discussion about the possible genetic cause of my condition. I found out that aside from my aplastic anemia, I am also anemic. As of right now, they found out that my bone marrow is not producing enough platelets and white blood cells. It's not easy knowing all these because there's absolutely nothing I can do to treat my condition or even alleviate the annoying symptoms I go through almost every single day - except for the pain relievers I take as needed. I guess it is a matter of choice if I'll spend my days feeling helpless about my condition or live my life to the fullest. I choose the latter.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes we get these "genetic gifts" that we don't know where we can return or refund for store credit :D

    Yap Kayni just do it - LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Photo Cache, Thank you. Indeed, no return or refund :(. Yes to living life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's the spirit! yes, no matter what, we can always make a choice to live life to the fullest... there's always a way, even little ways can make big differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colonial Williamsburg is a historic gem, but not so much when you're with whiny kids who'd rather be at Busch Gardens like what happened to me many years ago. Hehe.

    No matter what trials and tribulations may come our way, the choice should always be to enjoy life. Judging from the beautiful photos you lovingly share in your blog, it's obvious you are doing just that. Here's to life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ faery, Thank you so much. I love going there especially to take photos of the costumes :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope you feel better Kayni. Continue living your life to the fullest. Go travel to distant places, meet friends over good food, spend time with your family, and don't forget to laugh... those work better than any pain killers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall not say that it is alarming. Especially if it is something beyond our control, and despite of, I know you are trying all the means. I only always remember that faith and a happy heart can conquer everything. Let us, your bloggy pals, contribute to your happiness. Hugs for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your spirit. I really hope everything will alright. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoy life - that's the motto girl :) we all have just one life to live so might as well enjoy and make the most of it!

    wishing you all the best on this battle .. never give up :) i admire you for your strength and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you're a strong person Kayni. And not letting the 'genetics' dampen your spirit shows that. Anyhow, we have medicines for that, don't we?!

    Cheers to living life to the fullest! :)

    ReplyDelete