Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Take One: Airport Scene

I could barely see the clock on my work desk. My vision was blurry but tried hard to make out what time it was. It was 5:30 AM. There was already clamor in the kitchen, something I wasn't used to. I've been on my own for quite a long time. I kept telling myself it's too early to be getting up, but I have to. Dad's flight is at 9:15 AM, and we have to be at the airport at least two hours early. En route to the bathroom I glanced at Mom and Dad having a cup of coffee and enjoying the orange scones I brought home yesterday; they were keeping their conversation low as they didn't want to wake me up.

Dad arrived about three weeks ago, and I was so happy that he's finally taking the time off. Since we moved to the US, Dad's been working six days a week. He's a stubborn man. I kept telling him to cut down his hours, so that he can at least take two days off, but he insists it's for the family. Stubborn indeed for his love for us.

Looking back, I couldn't help but think of all the family problems we've faced. If my Mom is emotional and has hysterical tendencies, Dad would be calm and composed at all times. If I had a problem, even to the point of sobbing my heart out on the phone, Dad would have the right words to calm me down. He is the source of my comfort and guidance.

The morning air felt nippy. I thought it was unusually cold for late August. Summer won't end in another three weeks. I decided to drive the car to the Metro, as it would be inconvenient to walk the whole 20 minutes carrying bulky bags. The Metro station looked lonely and deserted at this early in the morning. As the red train bound to Glenmont approached, there were so many empty seats. It was nice. We could seat wherever we wanted. We sat, talked and planned about the coming winter holidays. The train ride felt like a blur. The next time we knew, we were already at the airport. My chest felt heavy, and I suddenly felt the pangs of sadness. I didn't want my Dad to leave. Through the years, this is exactly how I felt whenever I drop my parents at the airport. I helped my Dad get his boarding pass and get him ready for his flight. In my heart, I wish he could just stay here - with me.

At about 7:45 AM, we hugged, as he proceeded to his departure gate. My eyes started filling up with tears but managed not to let them fall. I saw him go through airport security fine and gave him a big smile and a wave. How time really flies. It felt like I was just in the airport picking him up yesterday. From the airport, I went straight to work. It was 8:30 AM when I turned on my computer in the office. It was too early, and it was too quiet. I miss my Dad already.

14 comments:

  1. thanks for visiting my blog, saying goodbyes at the airport is also not my thing, everytime my family visits me in korea, ialways go through the same emotions, have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me teary-eyed. The airport or any departure scene is always heartbreaking. But it lessens the pain of being away when we know that parting would only be for a while.

    I admire your attachment to your parents. It is interesting also how you describe your parents in one part, that your dad is calmer than your mom. It's wonderful how people complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sis, naiyak naman ako sa'yo! :) just like my favorite song in hi-school says: "sayin' goodbye is never an easy thing..." hugs to you dear sis...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryle, Glad to see you here. Yes, I am not good at goodbyes at all.

    Wits, I am very close to my parents, and you're so right about two people having to different personalities yet complement each other.

    Sis, Hugs back. I'm glad to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, na-miss ko tuloy dad ko ;-P hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. caryn, i miss so many people and so many things these days...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh goodbyes are really hard to say but bear in mind, hello is just waiting at the corner..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Toni. You're right. Hope you get a new computer soon. It's always exciting to get a new computer =).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww hugs Kayni. Goodbyes at airports are really emotional moments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love it when little kids believe grandmas/granpas lives in airports since that's where they get dropped-off and picked-up.

    A place of agony and ecstasy. We always hope for the latter.

    Cheers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daphne, Thank you. Hugs back. Hopefully, I'll be able to shake this off in a few days.

    Trublue, Lol...true, some kids do think their grandparents live at airports. I hope that's not the case when I grow old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi kayni! i should be used to goodbyes. but i am not. our family (that's dad, ma and us six kids) live life in different time zones, and each and every airport scene still takes some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna, I have a feeling I'll never get used to airport scenes.

    ReplyDelete