Sunday, October 19, 2008

Barley Tea Adventure

I have ran out of barley tea, and Mom and I scoured all possible Asian stores in the area and have been unable to find one. I'm so disappointed, and I've been trying to brainstorm if there are other tea stores I haven't checked. I hope I'll have better luck today because I am down to my last barley tea bag. Of course I'm still a coffee person in the morning, but the rest of the day, I drink tea. I only stick to my three favorites though - green, barley, and a specific brand of black tea. Green tea is everywhere and so is black tea, but I don't know why barley is so tough to find. Is it because it's not in demand compared to its more popular counterparts? Anyway, my tea adventure lead me to new and familiar places.

My search for the barley tea took me back to Lake Whetstone. The surrounding trees have started to change colors, and I can't wait to come back here when fall foliage is at its peak. It was so cold yesterday, that I think the ducks were reluctant to swim to keep us company. Mom and I have taken a liking to the lake, as we both find the lake park peaceful and relaxing.

Well, I was mistaken. There were three brave feathered friends who curiously came to meet us. We were happy to see them.

If you saw the movie , Flash of Genius, this is the area where Robert Kearns lived.

Peaceful lake.

It seems that our temperature has taken a sudden nosedive. It isn't cold enough to turn the heater on, but chilly enough to make your knees and hands shiver specially in the mornings and evenings. I have aired out my winter blankets, dry cleaned my coats, and brought out my winter clothes. I think I am quite ready for winter 2008.

9 comments:

  1. It might sound surprising, but I am not a coffee or tea person. I usually stick to having "just water". But now I want to try Barley tea. It must be real good that you specifically want that. The photos and the weather are nice. Looks so calm. =)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ended up at a lake when I run out of tea. hehe. Can't say I've tried barley tea. What makes it good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wits, i don't know why coffee tastes so good in the morning =). i like barley tea because it's sweeter and tastier.

    wil, i was driving to one particular store near the lake, so i decided to stop by. i just love the taste of barley tea. to me, it's more of a dessert tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't know barley tea too. i always had green and english breakfast. what i miss are those chinese medicinal tea in binondo.

    that's a beautiful lake by the way, and the colors of the leaves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ms firefly, barley tea isn't known much here (Maryland) as well. it's more popular to Japanese and Korean cuisine. there's an abundant of chinese herbal teas here, but alas, no barley tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barley, isn't that the kind where they say offer a lot of health benefits or something? You got me curious. =)

    Lovely photos. It transported me to my happy place. hehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Layrasyki, I think I've come to a point where I got tired of the usual kind of teas offered, so when my Mom made me taste barley, I was drawn to it because of its taste. It's naturally sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like barley tea too, i get it here from the korean shop - that's the only place where you get it here.

    beautiful pictures, -indeed very calm and relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  9. toni, i heard Korean stores have barley teas, but it seems that we have more Chinese stores than Korean ones.

    ReplyDelete