Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Quick Thought on Thanksgiving

Today, I had lunch with my office mates at Elephant and Castle, a British pub/restaurant in the area. It was our early Thanksgiving lunch, as everyone seems to be going home to their respective states this afternoon. Like me, most of my coworkers are also transplants in the DC area, so when the holidays arrive, almost everyone seems to be planning their flight or train trip home. As for me, I'll be spending Thanksgiving here with my Mom. Mom was supposed to fly home to Hawaii two weeks ago, but she decided to spend Thanksgiving with me instead. Thank you, Mom.

Mom and I haven't decided how we'll celebrate Thanksgiving yet. As Filipino-Americans, we prefer chicken to turkey. Instead of stuffings and mashed potatoes, we cook pansit or macaroni salad. We Filipinize Thanksgiving. But Thanksgiving is not about the food; it is more than that. I've observed that as time goes by, people are forgetting the meaning of Thanksgiving. It isn't about how perfect the turkey is or how abundant food is on the table. It is about giving thanks to God, family, friends, and welcoming new acquaintances to your home. I do hope that as families dine together this Thanksgiving, they'd remember the true history of America, the Native Americans, the Pilgrims, and most of all, that different cultures can co-exist harmoniously.

7 comments:

  1. Yey for Filipinizing Thanksgiving. I love it when the traditional Filipino foods are served in parties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people's view on celebrations/occasions are very superficial. Be it thanksgiving, christmas, new year, birthdays, etc.

    I like the thought of giving Pinoy touch to cooking. You take care and your mom, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree to everything you said :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Kayni :) It's cute how you Filipinize the menu for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm also glad your mother is there to celebrate with you. That is indeed something to be thankful for.

    You are unfortunately right about society commercializing every holiday nowadays and it was good of you to reflect on the true meaning of Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Kayni! I didn't like turkey during my first Thanksgiving many, many years ago. hehe. But I've come to like it and the mashed potatoes and the stuffing and everything. I'm looking forward to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheng, These days, I actually crave for Filipino foods more.

    Wits, Thank you. Yes, it's important not to lose the true meaning of the holidays we celebrate.

    Jeanny & Daphne, Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wil, Happy Thanksgiving. I don't know why I can't get used to turkey. My cousin is actually going to make pinikpikan. You might want to join us...lol.

    ReplyDelete