Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sam and Blackie

The photo above is a page from my journal. Every evening on my way home from work, I've noticed this black dog peering through a glass window whenever I pass by one of the residential houses. He or she, since I don't know the dog's gender, is always at that window between 6:15 to 6:30 PM. I've decided to name him/her Blackie. About two months ago, I started waving and smiling at Blackie, and I'd see his/her nose pressed on the cold glass window making wet, nose imprints. Sometimes, Blackie would held up a paw on the glass just to show that he/she sees me. Seeing Blackie respond to my gestures puts a smile on my face and laughter in my heart. I don't know, but I just love dogs so much.

My love for dogs started when I was a kid. Our house was always filled with barks and chasing games with our dogs. At one time, we had seven resident dogs at once, and boy, it was rough. I still remember how rowdy they were at times, but they always brought me happiness, loyalty, safety and most of all - unconditional friendship. Actually, I had a dog named Sam, who was born on the same day I came to this world. Whenever we celebrate our birthday, I make sure to give him a piece of cake or anything that we'd prepare for the celebration. I felt so lucky having him. He died of old age a few days before our 17th birthday. We buried him in our backyard, and I've missed him ever since.

I've noticed that Sam and I were sort of connected. He follows me around, and would sit beside me when I had a bad day at school or I got some scolding from my parents. Sam was my best friend, and he never complained and never asked for much. Sam and I communicated in our own way. When I talk, Sam would raise one of his spotted ears. When I'm crying, Sam would just sit quietly as if saying, "I am here." Whenever talks about dogs come up, you can't blame me if I talk about Sam. Sam's always in my heart.

Everyday, I look forward to seeing Blackie on my way home from work. He/She gives me something to look forward to and that I appreciate that we communicate in some way. A wiggle, a nose imprint, or a raised paw on the glass, it's just wonderful to have a new friend on the other side of the glass window.

14 comments:

  1. 17 years old? That's 119 in human years. Definitely a long life.

    I don't think I can have a dog. It's a lot of responsibility and it would be tough for me if something happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wil, Sam had a long life, but during his later years, he slept a lot. His Mom, Luck, also had a long life, so it was probably good genes. I was actually hoping he'd make it to our birthday, but he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, dog's are a man's best friend. I am really not a fond friend of dogs, but we were just given two dogs, an addition to the family in the house. One is a pitbull, the other's an askal (asong kalye)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheng, Are they puppies or big dogs already? Wow, so there's more in the family now...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not really a dog person. Or any pet for that matter hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, you changed your template. your Sam and Blackie post reminded me of your old header, where there's a dog staring out the window. that must be Sam or Blackie, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daphne, I do understand pets aren't for everybody =). I hope all is well.

    Angeli, I actually realized that after I changed my template. I might put that cute dog back, when I figure out how to fit it on that larger frame...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, your post made me suddenly miss our dog named Frodo.. a white furry dog wit brown spots on his ears and tail.. my dad's last pet before he passed away.. we had to lend him to my uncle who has a wide backyard in Pangasinan since Frodo really grew up so big.. when my dad passed away, my uncle said Frodo really wailed so lonely. it was, he said, a confirmation for him that my dad has left us already. after my dad's 40th day, we visited him in Pangasinan and he was so delighted to see us.. and though he always ran away whenever we bathed him (in baguio), he was so excited to show us in pangasinan how he loves the beach and how he could swim very well...oh, so long comment, i should have made my own article, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jehan, I know what you mean about missing your dog. I do miss my former pets - sometimes. Is Frodo still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi kayni! yes he is. he's 6 years old now, but the last time i saw him was in 2006..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jehan, Oh, you must miss him a lot. I hope you'll see him again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dogs are the best! they're fiercely loyal and sweet. Casper (i refer to him as my brother) wags his tail in excitement every time he sees me and would do anything to be beside me. He's so sweet that my heart is in pain whenever he's sick. He almost died about 8 years ago; thank goodness, the vet saved him. During that time, I cried every night. Now, I can't imagine losing him. We love each other so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. btw, i'm planning to right a post about him to introduce him to everybody. I'm so proud of Casper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mordsith and Casper, I agree. I love dogs so much. I am looking forward to meeting and reading about Casper. Give Casper a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete