Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Am Back

I trust everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. It was 7:39 PM when my flight landed at DCA last night. It was such sorrow and delight to feel the chilly 32 degrees, while my system adjusted back to the cold weather here. As soon as I got out of the airport to catch my train home, my two weeks in Hawaii felt like a dream. As I rode the train, my mind raised through memories of warm weather, wearing slippers, the white sandy beaches, light t-shirts/shorts, swimming at Ewa Beach, playing with my dog, hunting for stranded seaweeds, the sweet taste of malasadas and so much more. It was a wonderful two-week vacation.

I really feel like a zombie today, as I'm trying to catch up on paperwork. I should have taken another day-off to get my system adjusted to the five hour difference, but I did miss working "a little bit." We're quite busy as we prepare for Mr. Obama's Inauguration. It's a bit of a hustle, as the city's closing roads and blocking parking lots. Secret Service issued maps and announcements about procedures, and it feels like a jungle trying to figure out the city with its new routes, as if DC isn't already a jungle. So if you or someone you know is attending the Inauguration, BE PREPARED TO WALK and BRING A MAP.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am back and that I am grateful to everything that has happened in 2008. 2009 will be remarkable as we set off to another year of adventure. I didn't make any resolutions this year, but I only have one wish - TO BE HAPPY AND GRATEFUL.

I'll be posting photos from Hawaii soon.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Kayni. I'm glad you had a great vacation. :)

    What are malasadas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angeli, Malasadas are Portuguese donuts, and they don't have holes in the middle. They're made with eggs, butter and milk. Deep-fried, then coated with plain white sugar. They're yummy and best eaten when they're hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heeey, welcome back! masaladas sounds very yummy, I could imagine the aroma and softness of a freshly cooked donut with sweet sugar all around it!

    let's journey together again this year, it will be full of adventures!

    sending much love from baguio - artemis

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back kayni!

    i guess you really enjoyed your time in Hawaii. i've never been there, but the atmosphere in beaches is so much warmer than that in cities. oh, well. have a great year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome back kayni! :) i missed you! i bet you had a blast in Hawaii. did you try surfing? beaches in hawaii are so beautiful ano? wish i can go there someday.

    keep the posts coming ha. i miss your posts! have a great week! mwah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back, Kayni! May we all find happiness in 2009! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back home, Kayni. I'm glad you had a wonderful Yuletide celeb with your family! :)

    Looking forward to your Hawaii pix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Back Kayni! Hope to read more of the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. welcome back kayni!
    you had some sun?! NOT FAIR. hehe

    i'm happy to see you're back safe and sound, happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're back! Missed your entries here :)

    Let's all be happy and grateful this year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone, What a warm welcome you've all given me. Thank you so much. I am settling into my 2009 schedule at home and at work. I will be posting my Hawaii pics this weekend.

    I am glad I am back and that you all make me feel at home. Let's make 2009 a year to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I always get homesick after a long holiday with the family ;( really strange actually, but you get used to all that loving, attention and warmth of family I guess. So when you come back to your other home(or to your usual routine) you feel really sad again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Toni, Oh your so right about being homesick. I, too, feel homesick right after visiting home. But, such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aloha Noi. Hope the new year will bring good surprises for you.

    Haven't had malasadas in a long time. They're a good treats alright. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back :) Looking forward to photos of Hawaii! I would've definitely taken at least one (maybe even two!) days off after landing. The time difference really knocks you off the rails 0_o

    ReplyDelete
  16. welcome back Kayni. Oh boy I miss you. I'll wait for the photos ;)

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. TB, Mahalo! Oh, I ate about a dozen of malasadas. I would like to learn how to make the dough. One of my projects - one of these days.

    Sinta, You're right. I should have taken at least two days of rest. It's my third night, and I"m still having a hard time sleeping.

    Jeanny, Thank you. It feels good to be missed =).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can relate to being a 'zombie' on the first day after the vacation. I'll remember your 'to be happy and grateful' wish. =)

    ReplyDelete