Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Commuting

Today, Metro commute was a madhouse again. Sounds familiar? Right around the same time last year, I had a similar hell-like commute (Read my entry here). Why I'm making a big fuss about this? It's because it seems to happen around my birthday. Coincidence? Perhaps and I'm just hoping it's just coincidence. I really don't want to spend my birthdays commuting for two hours and having to deal with sardine-packed shuttles or buses. In the center of it all, my heart goes to the two Metro track workers who got into an accident early morning today. (You can read their story here.) Really, DC Metro has to do better in ensuring the overall safety of their system, workers and riders. Last year, DC Metro was front news due to a big accident and lost of lives. Although I feel confident riding the Metro most of the time, sometimes I can't help but wonder if I'm really safe at all.

7 comments:

  1. yes, sometimes you can't help thinking about that. i was just watching a documentary about the subway system in Japan and how efficient they are...nevertheless, there was an attack a few years ago from a cult which caused a few lives.. then again, the roads are also full of accidents and mishaps..

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are things we have control of, such as being extra careful...other variables such as nasty people on the packed train with you, we just have to deal with.

    keep your cool...after all, it's your birthday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni and Fortuitous Faery, It's true. There are things we can and cannot control. We just have to keep living our lives, be extra careful and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kayni,

    i know this is so unrelated to your post, but..

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    love and hugs,
    Angeli

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happens Kayni, and it sometimes annoys especially when you're rushing.

    ReplyDelete