Monday, August 16, 2010

Postcards From Brugge

Funny but I am writing this post from memory and aided with some online research. 2004 seems so long ago, and as I peruse the photos on my photo disc, I remember the experience but not the locations. My time in Belgium was short, but I managed to explore the city of Brussels and also visit Brugge.

As my roommate spent her time at the museums (she was an art history major), I had all the time to explore the city of Brussels and managed to join a tour to Brugge, which is the capital and largest city of West Flanders (Flemish Region). Brugge, also spelled as Bruges, is pronounced as Bruh Ha. Brugge is beautiful and it left me wanting to go back and visit again if given the chance. This city is also known as the "Chocolate City" as there are several chocolate makers in the area and a chocolate museum to boast called "Choco-Story." Unfortunately, I did not take any photos, but I remember buying a few boxes to take home.

Top, L-R: Entering Brugge, Town Hall
Bottom, L-R: Cruising through the canals, The Burg (the town square)

 The Burg

One of the best ways to experience Brugge is by cruising its canals. This photo was taken around November 2004, and the colors of fall really added to the town's beauty. The historic city of Brugge was added to the Unesco's World Heritage List, and as perfectly captured by this description from UNESCO.org:
Brugge is an outstanding example of a medieval historic settlement, which has maintained its historic fabric as this has evolved over the centuries, and where original Gothic constructions form part of the town's identity. As one of the commercial and cultural capitals of Europe, Brugge developed cultural links to different parts of the world. It is closely associated with the school of Flemish Primitive painting.

5 comments:

  1. Please keep these posts coming. I love seeing your travel pics. I even went back and read your travelogues :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ang ganda kayni...it's so europe! ganda ganda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a dreamy place to live in. Did you say it's the land of chocolates? Aww! The tall old buildings are so beautiful.

    Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup it is really beautiful there, i did 2 day trips there and the next time i go, i want to stay at least a night :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hardly remember my visit to Brugge since I was still young but I do have pictures of me on a canal tour. :Da

    ReplyDelete