Thursday, January 13, 2011

2010 Honolulu City Lights

I believe that the spirit of Christmas is NOT dependent on snow, Christmas is about going home, celebrating the birth of Christ and being with the people you love - rainy or snowy, sunny or balmy.

Whenever I go home for the holidays to Hawaii, one of the first things I'd like to do is spend an evening with my family at the yearly Honolulu City Lights. Apart from my love for neon lights and colorful Christmas decorations, it is also a family outing we do during the holidays. People often ask me why I go to the islands for Christmas and someone even commented that Christmas is not Christmas without snow. Believe me, I was shocked. I almost went on a rage rant explaining to this idiot how dim-witted he is and that Christmas, also called as the celebration of the birth of Christ, has absolutely nothing to do with snow, duh.

Anyway...moving on. I believe that the spirit of Christmas is NOT dependent on snow, Christmas is about going home, celebrating the birth of Christ and being with the people you love - rainy or snowy, sunny or balmy. On the eve of the 26th, my parents, brother, PW and I  squeezed into my dad's potpot car and made a wiki drive to the Honolulu Hale (City Hall). There, we were welcomed by the glowing lights of the 50 ft Christmas Tree, giant Christmas displays, wreath and Christmas tree exhibit and more.

A view of the Honolulu Hale, as I crossed the street.
Honolulu's Christmas Tree
A shaka from Santa and a smile from Mrs. Clause

Turtle carrying poi and kava
Experiment 626 - Stitch, a favorite cartoon character










Mahalo nui loa, Honolulu. I can't wait for the next Honolulu City Lights.

6 comments:

  1. Like that Karen Carpenter song gies, "Oh there's no place like home for the holidays!"

    And Santa does feel very relaxed in red shorts than his red suit!

    I was half-expecting to see a Christmas Palm Tree out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ faery, I think a Christmas Palm Tree would have been nice too. The Honolulu City Lights used a Norfolk Pine Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that guy never had any religious background Kayni. I pity people like him.

    City lights made me go 'wow' feeling like a child again. It made me remember when my titos and titas used to bring us kids to the COD Christmas Show in Cubao. Now, it's in Greenhills already.

    And oh, I'm curious about the 'potpot' car. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your first picture. So dreamy, so Christmas-y.

    And I totally agree that christmas is not about snow. It's about family and celebrating Christ's birthday =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well certain people tend to associate Christmas with everything but the true meaning which is the birth of our Lord. But to each his own, I guess as long as they don't impose their idiotic views on others. hehe

    Me too I'm wondering what a 'potpot' car is. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome!!! :D wish i could go there someday :D

    ReplyDelete