Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Love Hanauma!

As our car drove through Sandy Beach, I knew we were close to Hanauma Bay. I've been to Hanauma Bay several times before but when you only come home to the islands once a year or sometimes once in two years, you sometimes have to think harder in order to remember the roads and turns to certain destinations; that's me. Since I moved to the mainland, my heart longs and aches for Hawaii every single day, but every time I come home and step on the islands, the spirit of aloha makes me forget that I've been away for so long. The longing slowly dissipates as my heart swells of great warmth and happiness - an absolute love for the islands and the island life. This is how Hanauma Bay makes me feel every single time I visit, every time I dip my toes into its salty waters, every time I gaze from the hill top and marvel at its blue waters with the gentle Hawaiian breeze whispering to my ears, "Hanauma Bay's beauty is almost heavenly."


I remember the first time I swam here, I was filled with awe because of its beauty from afar and within. Fishes of species I do not know and of different vibrant colors swim, feed, play and hide beneath its corals. Hanauma is a world on its own that you'll forget that life exists outside this beautiful bay. Here, it's just Hanauma and I.
No wander that "in 1967, Hanauma Bay was declared a protected marine life conservation area and underwater park." And for those interested in underwater volcanoes, "the bay floor is actually the crater of an ancient volcano that flooded when the exterior wall collapsed and the ocean rushed in." (Source here.)
And when the stress of life comes rushing in, I close my eyes and picture this perfect view in my mind - the feel of sand on my feet, the gentle waves caressing the shore, the sun in my eyes as I float on the waters of Hanauma Bay.
The water is so clear, you can see the coral reef at the bottom of the water. How could you forget such beauty? Never.

 Information:
  • Hanauma Bay is a marine conservation area: no pets allowed; no alcoholic beverages; no fishing or feeding the fish; do not remove, harass, or harm any marine life.
  • Avoid standing or walking on the coral reef.
  • Parking per car is $1 (A lot of people visit the bay so it is recommended to arrive early as the parking lot fills up quickly.)
  • Admission: $5 per person admission fee for 13 year old or older. The bay is FREE for children under 13 years, Hawaii residents and military stationed in Hawaii with proper ID.
More information is available here.

11 comments:

  1. That is an absolutely beautiful bay. I would love to visit and just let all the beauty sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kayni, your pictures are so great! so beautiful! i'm planning to go to hawaii one of these years (kelan kaya).

    the people in the pictures look like ants! he he!

    ang ganda ganda talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are refreshing pictures! I wish I could actually be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful! I wish i could go to Hawaii someday :D I also want to eat authentic Spam Musubi! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely breathtaking! Makes me want to go to Hawaii right now. :)

    Btw, I really like your shots of the bay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I feel like to going to the beach, but we were alerted here to avoid the shores for the moment.

    PS. And I like your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!!! is this in the main island?

    what's the black stuff floating. kelp?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a look alone at your pictures relax my eyes.

    I am still curious though of the brown matters that floats on the water...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brown/black on the water is actually the bottom of the shore-the coral reef.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a paradise...i would love to stay there even just for a minute... (dream)

    ReplyDelete
  11. kaganda naman yan.. i know what you mean by the underwater world having a world of its own that makes you forget the world you come from.

    ReplyDelete