Friday, March 11, 2011

Spicy Soup For The Soul

When it's rainy outside and I just had a rough day at work, I tend to look for comfort in the form of food. I know it sounds bad, but for me, nothing is as assuring and relaxing as having that sit down dinner at my favorite Korean soup stand. While I wait for my order, I let go of the mishaps of my day and just be in that moment - a small Korean soup stand located in the middle of a bustling Asian supermarket.

I listen to the chatter of shoppers passing by, the clanging pots in the small kitchen soup stand, customer slurping his noodles from a nearby table, clicking of chopsticks, cash register ringing another order, baby crying somewhere, squeaky grocery cart wheels, occasional arghgh or loud out breath of a customer who can't handle the spiciness of the soup or the kimchee, couple speaking Korean, couple speaking Spanish, thud of the butcher's knife, Korean pop music playing (I think it's the Girls' Generation.)...

I'm ready to eat. I am hungry. I am in the moment and this moment is for eating - nourish my body and my soul.

My order arrives.

KoreanFood by kayni2010
Korean Sundubu Jjigae Seafood

12 comments:

  1. I would love to have some spicy soup right now :) Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to train my palate to enjoy Korean food. The kimchi is making it difficult though. But I'm coming around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your soup. Soup is always comforting when it's cold and rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I could use some spicy soup right now to ease this terrible cough! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm sarap. me too i think among the korean dishes i cant seem to eat their kimchi hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. kayni, i'm reading chicken soup for the soul right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yuummm, mouth-watering, the spice! I love Korean food too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was watching the tsunami in Japan and it made me hungry. I know, it's kinda weird but like you I find comfort in food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumyum...i love spicy korean soups. Very warm and relaxing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! looks really hot and spicy!! love korean food.=)e

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum - just had a korean meal yesterday as well - bulgogi and pajon.. so good..

    ReplyDelete