Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Garlic Smell - A Time Machine

I was walking to work when I smelled a hunger inducing waft of fried garlic. I was dazzled for a moment. I thought, "Is someone making garlic fried rice? Where?" I looked left and right for a non-existent Filipino restaurant in that area. Deep inside, I knew it's impossible to find a Filipino restaurant there since it's mostly corporate buildings dotted with a few coffee and sandwich shops that dominate the market for breakfast and lunch goers. I kid you not but that garlic smell was like a time machine. Suddenly, I was hurdled back to the memories of my younger days in the Philippines.

Being the youngest in the family, I seem to be the last one who wakes up (on most days). Believe me, it takes a lot of calling, prodding and even persuading before Id' get out of bed. Mom said I slept like a lard. In the mornings, I'd be rubbing my eyes while my senses wake up to the smell of my sister's cooking of kinirog nga inapoy (fried rice usually flavored with garlic) with eggs on the side. Mom and Dad maintained a backyard poultry so we had fresh eggs available every day. My parents would be enjoying their barako coffee already while I'd sluggishly sit on the dining table and sleepily request a glass of Milo; that catchy ad phrase "Milo for Olympic energy" is still stuck in my brain after all these years.

As I crossed the street to my office, the garlic smell dissipated and I was thrown back into reality. I realize that I miss so many things. I miss sleeping like a lard, waking up to my sister's cooking, the smell of our family house, warm pandesal in the mornings, rustling sound of the rice fields, studying with a candle light or the gas lamp, the sourness and sweetness of Indian Mango from my grandpa's backyard, the crackling of fire as it devours wood fire for cooking, the smell of soot, the coming of the monsoon, the trickle of rain on our tin roof, the dampness of June, songs of the cicadas during summer...

I miss home. I miss being a kid - having simpler worries.

13 comments:

  1. Amen to that.

    I remember when I would sleep past 9 am and here comes mom and dad in their loudest voice saying MATUTUNAW NA ANG UTAK MO SA SIKAT NG ARAW TULOG KA PA DIN :) GISING NA!!!!

    When you are a kid you don't mind that the sun rays have crept up all over your sleeping body./

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss being a kid too and all the wonderful things we did as children. Your post is inspiring. I think I need to write about my childhood memories some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Weekend starts now and hope this will make me write like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever find out where the garlic aroma was coming from? I too love the smell of roasted garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same as the above comment, I wonder if you found where the garlic aroma came from?

    Oh to be a child again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also miss being a kid, although most of the time, I act like one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it astonishes me how a certain scent can bring back a flood of memories. it's like being there once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh such a wonderful post.. it's so nice to have those wonderful memories .. i too think of them once in a while.. what makes it even sadder and it is just too far to even smell and see the same things..it's just all in the memory..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the scent of sauteed garlic! :) I miss lazy sunday mornings with my family in our old house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I find your blog very interesting, especially the pictures. I added your blog to my list. Hope you don't mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Netts and Josiet, To this day, I could never find the source. I'm thinking it will reveal itself in time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol @photo cache! I have the same sentiments when I walk down some unknown streets in the city. hope you find where it's coming from :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have time to come home sometime. The barako coffee is really good haha! Everything about home is..:)

    ReplyDelete