Monday, July 18, 2011

Maui's Kuka'emoku

Let's take a break from my Finland travel posts and fly back to my home islands, Hawaii. Lately, the thoughts of home have been really making me homesick and going through a rough time in the health aspect makes me miss the warmth of home instead of the needles and cold, impersonal clinic visits that is my reality for now. Hopefully, after this post, I'll feel the warmth of Hawaii - even if it's just in my thoughts.

Visiting the Iao Needle was something I've been wanting to do for the longest time, but it was only last year that this dream came to fruition. I was home in O'ahu for the holidays, so Kepi and I decided to visit the island of Maui for two days. Of course, two days weren't enough, even a month is not even enough to explore or enjoy the beaches of Maui. Maui is so beautiful and has so many things to offer. From beautiful beaches, whale watching, picturesque volcano and breathtaking scenery. You name it, Maui's got it.

So here starts my adventure to see the Iao Needle...

It was a rainy start, but it soon cleared out as the day progressed.

A tunnel in Maui.

A morning glimpse of the Pacific after the rain.

The view as we descended to the Iao Valley - the morning mist hasn't departed yet or will it ever.

Kuka'emoku measures at 2,250 feet and is the phallic stone of Kanaloa, Hawaiian god of the ocean. During the warfare period between the islands, this was used as a lookout for warriors

According to the park brochure, "Kuka'emoku is an erosional remnant. It is at the end of a ridge comprised of a denser dike stone. The softer rock around the dike stone was eroded by streams and waterfalls."

Here's a rest place near Kuka'emoku. A great place to relax while the cold mist blankets your whole being and lands kisses on your face

As we were driving away from Kuka'emoku, I happen to see this park at the base of the mountain so we decided to check it out.

From the park, you can watch the mist hover and disappear over the mountains. It was a dramatic scene how nature rules out here.



The park featured Korean, Japanese, Filipino and Chinese gardens.


And yes, Jose Rizal, the Philippine National Hero.

The Filipino house complete with a Koi pond.




A bust of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen.


Japanese garden



Flower and raindrops.

14 comments:

  1. so beautiful. nothing beats hawaii sights. this place was on my list of must visit when we were planning on going to hi last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so beautiful and exotic. Breath-taking scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you miss your home very much. It's very beautiful. If I have the chance to go to a place like that, I stay forever. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your photos. they somehow reminded me of Philippines but a little bit different. Having different themes on a park especially a Filipino feature on is just too awesome. thanks for visiting my blog! have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very beautiful. i love the place. parang ang lamig jan, ang sarap magstay and relax

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to see a Filipino garden there in Hawaii. The mountains reminds me of our province. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ang ganda talaga ng mga bundok. they always look so grand and majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply breath-taking. Somehow it reminds me of our place. We do have nice mountain sceneries too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely place kayni. i would to be surrounded by nature like that!

    i wonder about the "Iao Needle'... mukha ba syang needle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous captures! I'd love to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting Filipino house because I don't think a koi pond is typical in a bahay kubo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. how beautiful! i could feel the sacred energy of those mountains.. now i understand why many american spiritualists move to hawaii...

    ReplyDelete