Monday, June 25, 2012

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

When we were still planning our trip to Iceland, the Blue Lagoon was at the top of my list. I've heard the healing power of the Blue Lagoon's geothermal seawater with its active ingredients: minerals, silica and algae, known to be good for the skin. Due to the treatment I'm undergoing, my skin has been a challenge to manage; regretfully, my facial skin is not what it used to.

The Blue Lagoon is a 40-minute drive from Reykjavik, so we decided to visit this place before our flight home. The Blue Lagoon is about 20 minutes to the airport, so it's the perfect stop before our flight home. We planned to stay there for a couple of hours, but the place felt magical and how we wished we can stay there longer. The place is beautiful and the sight of lava rocks cradling lagoons of blue water is a calming experience.

I was in awe when I caught this sight.

This photo was taken outside of the spa center.

Entering the Blue Lagoon. Standard use (includes towel) of the spa center costs 40 Euros.

Calming, isn't it?

Here's the Blue Lagoon inside the spa center. The rectangular booth is a place to buy drinks, so you can enjoy a drink or two while wading through the Lagoon. It's warm in the Lagoon, but once you get out of the water, the cold wind can be a shock to your system.

There are different temperatures within the Lagoon, so you need to wade around and find the right temperature your body can tolerate. I also applied silica on my face, which is readily available in wooden boxes on the side of the Lagoon. BUT make sure you don't get silica on your hair or you'd have a bad hair for a couple of weeks. I've heard stories how their hair felt like wire for weeks. One remedy is to use a lot of conditioner on your hair before you get into the Lagoon, then use conditioner again when you rinse afterwards.

Next time, I'd plan to stay here the whole day.

23 comments:

  1. The lagoon looks like a small portion of heaven. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. A lot of the locals say it's touristy, but I find it very relaxing there.

      Delete
  2. Incidentally, my son just saw this place at Nat Geo. I havent seen it when I heard him suggest "Can we go swim in Iceland" (in that as-if-travels-are-cheap tone). I protested with my thought of ice in the place :), my husband corrected me, and I just have shown him this post to confirm it is the same place :)

    Such a sight and experience. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit during the summer time. We went in spring and there isn't that much snow. It's still cold but manageable.

      Delete
  3. incredible. the landscape lends so much to the atmosphere.

    you can enjoy the hot springs of arenal/fortuna area in costa rica (since you're going, right?) the baldi hot springs has many pools that range in temp so you can just choose what's best for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, Costa Rica is still a plan. We might do that next year.

      Delete
  4. kayni! that looks amazing! parang ang sarap tumalon sa lagoon! the water looks so inviting! but i wonder if i can take the cold when i get out of the water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place is truly amazing. The water is so soothing, and I think you can handle the cold temps out of the water. You can always jump back into the lagoon if it gets too cold...lol.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that place is so cool. I wonder how they made the water blue.
    Hmm..I love to try the warm water, so calming indeed.
    Sana may ganyan din dito hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the silica and algae that makes the water blue daw. It's a really nice place. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  6. WOW! That lagoon sure looks so magical and therapeutic too. I saw from the picture that it is only knee deep, is that the case?

    Oh and thanks for the tip re silica! Surely keep that in mind and out of my hair :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are areas that are knee deep, but there are areas that are deeper - even close to my neck/chin. I like the deeper ones because they tend to be warmer, plus they cover my whole body and keep it warm.

      Delete
  7. dying of envy :D so so nice! I hope you were able to protect your hair properly! It would be horrible to have wiry hair :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my hair was fine. I used a lot of conditioner before and after. I just wish we stayed longer there.

      Delete
  8. wow...the place lloks amazing and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very relaxing, Jeanny. I'd love to go back again.

      Delete
  9. looks very relaxing, and the water looks so clean. That lagoon heals? Seriously? But if it can, I sure wish it will do you good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lagoon can heal skin problems. For me, I was after the healing powers of hot springs. I felt energized after soaking in that lagoon.

      Delete
  10. as always, me green with envy ^^, Thank you again for sharing, Kayni...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply amazing! And what an experience you had!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss visiting your blog and I as I do try to catch up with your posts, it's so refreshing to "travel" through your stories. This place in particular looks magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my, i want to experience something like this someday. the place looks magical. your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete