Monday, July 30, 2012

Hot Summer Days

Mid-Atlantic summers can be brutal. 

Since summer started, we haven't had a break from the humidity and 90+ temperatures. I've avoided the sun as much as I can and I've been packing lunch every day to avoid going out at all. At home, the AC has been working every single day, and goodness knows how expensive the electric bill will be this month and the coming hot months. In spite of not liking the blistering temperatures of summer, I welcome the absence of textbooks and semester papers; a few months off from grad school is a welcome respite from the busy school months ahead.

There hasn't been anything big going on, on my side of the woods, but here's an update in bullets if you're interested to know:
  • Kepi and I spent this weekend at Strasburg, VA. It's a town located up in the Shenandoah Mountains, and it's a sleepy little town. It's a great place to just unwind and get away from our everyday life. We explored a winery, soak our feet on the serene Shenandoah River and waited for nightfall at our hotel's deck.
  • My shop has been keeping me busy. It's a wonderful surprise to see my shop doing fairly well. For a five month old shop, I'm happy to report that I have made over 200 sales already. In the next few days, I will be opening a second shop. Please look forward to this announcement, as I'll be doing a blog giveaway. I'm still lining up the prizes.
  • Wedding preparations are going well. There are still a few more things to do, but I thank Kepi for being proactive in helping prepare for our wedding. In fact, he does a better job keeping up with the to-do list.
  • On the health side, my White Blood Cells are normal for the first time in six years, but my Red Blood Cells and Platelets are still lagging behind. I am thankful that I am no longer neutropenic, but how I wish everything is now normal. Somehow, I don't feel complete with the other two lagging behind. Sometimes, my wish to be "normal" seems so faraway, but I have to keep fighting.
That's just a short update from me.

Today, I am hoping for a good soaking rain to wash away the humidity and 90 degree temperature. I am already wishing for the coolness of Fall.

11 comments:

  1. I hope your other blood cells will catch up soon and that you feel better. It is very hot here too. It was nice for a while but this week it is awful - hot and humid, although the worst of the humidity will start in about 2 weeks :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your family are staying cool. I think I am ready for fall.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I'm happy for you that your white cells are normal. Still praying you will overcome it.
    Here it's been raining a lot lately..ah, nice to drink a warm cup of coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your white blood cells, the reds will follow suit.

    Ooh, cant wait for the wedding bells to ring for you and Kepi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't know summer can be brutal there. Here, it's been raining almost everyday. And I like it. I just hope it won't flood :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could send you some rain. It has been incessant in this part of the world. Although I appreciate the cooler climate, a tiny bit of sunshine would do wonders for our poor flood prone nation.

    So when's the wedding? Is it this year or next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on the news that you're getting a lot of rain. We need it badly here. The wedding is next year na.

      Delete