Monday, July 8, 2013

Two Transfusions Later

A bone marrow biopsy, numerous blood work, low platelet counts, bruises all over my arms and two transfusions...  It's been a rough couple of weeks on my side, and I am not sure where the wind will direct my sails the next few weeks.

My doctors and I have decided to put my name on the Bone Marrow Registry; this is in case I need a bone marrow transplant along the way.  I never thought it would go this far, but here I am and here it is.  Honestly, I am not myself lately.  I am depressed and I am in pain.  Most of the time, my mind hovers or flies to faraway places.  I think I lost hope in the middle of everything and I am just starting to pick things up again. 

BUT what's more alarming is that when I did some research on the US Bone Marrow Registry, here's what I found out.  According to bakitwhy.com,
the 2010 U.S Census recorded that there are about 3.4 Million [F]ilipinos in the United States, taking up one of the largest populations of Asian descent here in the United States. However, according to the National Bone Marrow Registry, as of September 2011, only .6% of [F]ilipinos are registered donors, making [F]ilipinos the least represented ethnicity in the Registry. Being the least represented in the registry makes it difficult for our fellow kababayans who are seeking a bone marrow donor that could potentially save their life.(Read the article here.)
This is quite scary for me who has Aplastic Anemia and especially those who are currently in dire need of a bone marrow transplant.

So why are Filipinos and Filipino-Americans reluctant to be Bone Marrow Donors?  According to bakitwhy.com:
  • They think that donating Bone Marrow can be a long and painful process
  • Some just don't believe in Donating Bone Marrow.
  • Some just don't know how to donate.
This blog post is both a plea and a call for Filipinos to be more proactive.

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE FILIPINO AND EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT, ASK YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO GET INVOLVED. Getting tested is a simple swab in the cheek and it won't hurt. WE NEED TO INCREASE THE FILIPINO DONORS IN THE BONE MARROW REGISTRY. 

BE THE MATCH AND GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE.

Thank you to all who sent their love and prayers on Facebook. Your words give me hope.

If you would like to get involved and get tested, who knows, you might be my match, please click HERE.  Or type this URL on your browser - http://bethematch.org/Home.aspx.

12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that you are unwell :( I pray that your health will improve and continue to het better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that things will get better. I don't think we are all properly educated about organ/bone marrow donations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      That's true, we need to get the information out there so that more people will know about organ/bone marrow donations.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Cher. I hope you're all well and that you've got that Sinusitis under control.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kayni!

    I've been absent for a while and suddenly had the inspiration to check on my friend's blogs.

    I was quite surprised with your news (well, I haven't been updated). I can't deduce the seriousness of your condition, as I am not familiar with that. But what I can do is lift a prayer for you. May you be blessed with complete healing. Perhaps that bone marrow transfusion will be the answer. :)

    Love and kisses from across the miles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayni,

    I really hope a lot of folks become aware about the importance of being potential donors. I signed up when I was 13 (just for organ and not yet on the bone marrow). I keep the card in my wallet at all times.

    Wishing you a fast recovery and hopefully you will not need that transplant.

    Hugs from all of us here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will pass on this information, kayni.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayni,
    Please accept my apologies if you have received this message twice, I tried to send, and it showed an error, and the message was gone.
    My heart goes out to you and your family. My wife was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia 4 years ago. The reason I am writing is because my parents convinced me to talk to someone besides the hospital doctors. To make a long story short, her counts have been steadily rising for nearly a year now. It's slow but it's working. If you're interested, my e-mail is 35dbantique@gmail.com. You can see more of her story at star-hopes90forlife.blogspot. I'm not asking for money, I want to share what we have learned because nobody should have to suffer with AA. What we used works very well for my wife, and could very well work for you.
    God bless you and your family.
    Travis Julius

    ReplyDelete