Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blast From The Past

Today, I ran into my former landlord, Tim, as I exited the Metro station. I was surprised he recognized me first; I must have been a very good tenant. Tim and his family live in a single-family house in a very wealthy neighborhood in the area. During the school-year, he rents out his basement, which was converted into a one-bedroom apartment, to students who doesn't like living in dorms. My privacy is so important to me, so I opted to find my own housing. Their basement became my home while in college and indeed my first residence in the State of Maryland. I remember being so ecstatic about having my own place. I remember jumping on the bed several times.

The Tims were warm and caring people, and I am so glad I met them. While tackling the demands of college life and work, I came down with a bad strain of flu, which reminds me that I should get my flu shot this year. I missed a whole week of schoolwork, and my condition was made worse by the cold and snowy weather. Maryland's winter can go from mild to icy. The sidewalks can become instant skating rinks, and you'd find yourself nervously slipping and sliding without purpose. Anyway, being sick and on your own isn't easy, but the Tims were constantly checking on me, bringing me hot soup and tea, and even picking up my groceries. In an instant, I had a family. I was deeply touched by their kindness, and I was reminded that even in the gloomiest places, human kindness is a beacon of light.

It's been a few years since I saw Tim, and seeing him just reminded me that no matter where we are, good people live amongst us, especially that he works in the building opposite to mine.

16 comments:

  1. I think they wanted you to get well so that you can keep paying the rent. hehe. Kidding. :D

    Maryland sounds really cold. Brrrrr... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Tim and his family. I'm glad you had them. Indeed, neighbourly kindness is a refuge away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was nice of them to check on you and do things for you while you were sick. They must be really nice people too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky to have met them. And they were, too. I guess you were one responsible tenant then. Glad they were there for you during those times. So nurturing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayni! Reading your travels and introspective and blast from the past posts are really engrossing. I can imagine the young you experiencing being away from home with only strangers caring for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wil, Oh yes, Maryland can be harshly cold.

    Sis, God bless them. I do think and pray for them often. They now have a boy.

    Josiet, I agree. Seldom do we meet genuinely good people.

    Wits, Yes, I am so lucky. People like them really make the world brighter.

    Layrayski, I left my parents house when I was 18. I was always in search for the next adventure =).

    ReplyDelete
  7. the world needs more good people like tim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am friends with my landlady too, good thing we have established a bond other than just pure business. When I see them, we give each other a hug, it makes for the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very touching post, i wuv it!!!
    keep the special friendship, it's people like them who gives us hope though things aren't getting any better with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that's a nice story, you must have been really a good tenant. i remember when we were in college and our landlady would reprimand us all the time - i used to live in a dorm but only 2 or was it 3 semesters" after that we left and rented our own apartment.
    the world is indeed very small :)but i hope not to meet the bad landlady at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheng and Ms Firefly, Yes, I do intend to keep-in-touch with the Tims. Good people are hard to forget, as they say.

    Toni, You're right. It's a small world. You'll never know who you'll bump into the next time you go out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone has said, "It is still better to be kind than being right!" Indeed! kind people are not easy to forget. I think my kindness is reinforced with the kindness I experience and see from people I come across with.

    Your post reminds me of people who have stood with me with their kindness:)

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Abella, Thank you for dropping by. Indeed, there are genuinely good people here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was in college and stayed in a dorm for a year and a half, I perceived our landlady to be "pakialamera" with all those curfews and talks about my and my housemate's boyfriends. But now that I'm older, I realize that it was all because she cared for us.

    My regret now is not having fixed our relationship before she died (4 years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi kg, sometimes we do perceive landlords/landladies to be nosey, but to think of it, they do take over as our second parent/s away from home. i'm sorry she passed away, but i'm sure you two have good times too, right?

    ReplyDelete