Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pangilinan's Apology

I was browsing the Dap-ay Forums at Baguio City Online when I came across "Tao po ako, hindi po ako Igorot" (I am a person/human, not an Igorot) as one of the forum topics. Apparently, these words were uttered by Candy Pangilinan during a pre-Mother's Day show at SM Baguio as a joke. According to Jemz, a forum member, Ms. Pangilinan blurted her comments twice, and although she did apologize at the end of the show, the damage has been done. Clearly, her comments have offended some members of the Igorot community, including me. (To read comments on the forum, click here.) In her blog, Ms. Pangilinan issued an apology and explained that what she actually meant was "Igorot statue" but failed to say the word "statue."

As a proud Igorot, I have to admit that some people refer or label us in so many "uncalled for" terms. I am glad that the Igorot community is fighting back and is fully aware that we need to uphold and defend the Igorot identity. If we dont' do it, who will. I am glad Ms. Pangilinan issued an apology. It was very careless and insensitive of her to say such words in a city known for its Igorot origins.
Here is a reprint of Ms. Pangilinan's apology, and click here to read her full blog entry.

**********
MY APOLOGIES:
Last Saturday, May 9, the day after my birthday, I finished my taping at 8:00 a.m. and left Manila to fulfill a commitment in Baguio at 2:00 p.m.
I am truly sorry because I uttered an insensitive statement during the event. I did not mean to hurt anyone, especially, our Igorot brothers and sisters. It was a careless remark and for that, I am truly sorry. The harm was done and regardless of my explanation and whatever my intention was when I uttered such words, any defense would not matter at this point. It was wrong.
I clearly remember that I did apologize for the careless statement I said during the show. Comedians have the tendency to go overboard and deliver lines, which they deem as witty and hilarious punchlines. But, sometimes, they can get reckless.
Truly, I am sorry for my mistake. I have learned a precious lesson, and I am sorry that I had hurt people in the process.
I delivered the lines incorrectly. I had no sleep that day and was very tired. In all of my shows, I try to make it a point that my audience would feel that I am a part of the entire group and that I am one with them, but I made a mistake this time.
If you were there and had finished the show, you would have heard me acknowledge my blunder. I apologized and explained myself. I even went on, uplifting the Benguet/Igorot Community.
I am very proud of their contribution to the society. I, as a person and a Filipino, would never intentionally discriminate nor disrespect my roots, my ancestors, and my fellow Filipinos. In summary, I pray that people would realize that I do not look down on anyone regardless of the race, heritage, or religion.
Again, I am deeply sorry.
I hope that you will find in your hearts to forgive me though I know it may be difficult to understand the context of why I said it. It was one major error, and may the Lord Jesus Christ forgive me, and give all of peace.
**********
Let me post this quote again: "I am an Igorot. Let me be treated as I deserve—with respect if I am good, with contempt if I am no good, irrespective of the name I carry. Let the term, Igorot, remain, and the world will use it with the correct meaning attached to it." ( Jose Dulnuan)

27 comments:

  1. well, mahirap talaga when your mouth is faster than your brain. you say things you will regret later on.

    you are Igorot pala kayni. didn't know that about you. do you know that i find the mountain province one of the most beautiful parts of our country? and i admire igorots for being proud of who they are (i've met some who, like you, have no second thoughts of saying they are igorots). i mean, what's there to be ashamed about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. meow meow. i can read ur birth date for u. can i pls have ur birthday and year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi kayni, i think miss pangilinan's apology was sincere. i still don't know why she said such a stupid thing. anyways, i will blog on my take of this incident as well when i find the time. don't know when that will be though.

    thanks for dropping by and leaving your words of comfort. cheers and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a big blow. Being a commedienne does not justify the reason why she throw such an irresponsible joke. If it's considered a joke because it's not really.

    I saw her interview just this morning and how emotional she was asking for forgiveness.

    I know she learned a lesson the hard way. But it's actually disappointing. May she be more careful and responsible in the future.

    I admire you for being a proud Igorota, Kayni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Kayni! i remember being asked from what province i came from because this man's group "admired" kuno my english. when i said Benguet. He said "Oh so you probably know Baguio?" I let that insensitive or unintelligent question pass and just smiled and said yes. and he laughed saying to his companions pointing at me "Ah hahaha Igorot!!!"... and I said "What's wrong? Though I'm an Igorot I think I can speak English better than you do".. and they all kept quiet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. kg, thank you. i have to agree with you that she wasn't thinking when she uttered those words. i'm glad she did acknowledge her mistake.

    renaye, i'll e-mail you.

    sagada, that's one thing i was trying to figure out, what was the point of saying such words. i don't see anything funny about it and it doesn't make any sense. looking forward to your post.

    lene, i've always been proud =). thank you. i honestly think she's very sincere.

    jehan, there you go. i'm glad you're standing up. sometimes, i do meet people who cannot believe i am igorot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww! that was a sad thing to hear. but reading her apology i think she was sincere. sana lang wag na maulit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. blue rose, what she said doesn't make sense especially to her audience in Baguio. i really hope this doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, probably a slip of the tongue, but thank goodness she apologized...

    ReplyDelete
  10. sheng, it's possible, but she should have corrected herself that second time she said it. but yes, she did apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what could she be thinking when she declared at the beginning of her show that she's human and not an Igorot?

    I could only suspect that perhaps she used to think that Igorots are gods and goddesses and not humans, and knowing that she's not a goddess, she said she's not an Igorot but a human. ha ha :-)

    But I'm sure she also said that out of ignorance.

    "to err is human, to forgive is divine." let's forgive her.


    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. artemis, i was thinking the same thing, and i was trying really hard to understand where she's coming from. i don't get it.

    you're right - let's forgive her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, I also just mentioned this on my latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "any defense would not matter at this point." oh, how right she was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ay naku even if she apologizes a million times, the harm has been done! But I've observed that local comedians tend to do this brand of humor all the time. Making fun of a certain segment of society or a certain race just to draw in laughs. It is not funny at all, it is humor in bad taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. People's twisted way of thinking. Shame on her. I thought she's smart. Tsk! Tsk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor CANDY, cry cry cry until we accept your apology, but make sure that its not a crocodile tears. you cannot fool us by that showbiz tears

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey guys! i like artemis' take on the rather idiotic comment. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. btw, artemis, i am quoting your line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wil, will be visiting you soon.

    mordsith, i feel bad for her. a mistake she has to live for, for a long time.

    daphne, i agree, it's tasteless and rude.

    eden, in this instance, she talked too fast without thinking.

    anonymous, i really hope those are not crocodile tears.

    3d, i agree. artemis makes a wonderful point...=)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't know about this. But what I know about Candy (based on previous interviews) is that she's sensible. Maybe she's been surprisingly became tactless, or hindi nya talaga sinasadya. But it's good she apologized. I have igorot friends and they are nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wits, the important thing here is she apologized and recognized her mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  23. one of the best teachers i've had in college is also an igorot. naisip ko tuloy kung anong magiging reaction niya kung nakita niya ito. as for candy, well, i guess we can only hope it doesn't happen again. people make mistakes. comedians really have this tendency to make fun of people or group of people thinking there's nothing wrong about what they have just said. i'm glad she apologized. and again, sana hindi na maulit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. eks, i also hope it doesn't happen again. i think the lesson has been learned.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never knew you were an Igorot. I have a classmate in college who was also an Igorot, and she was very clever, nasa Dean's List lagi, and very good in English too! Most Igorots daw are like her too. Smart! Kudos to you for being so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  26. and I do admire you more for being 'head-to-toe' proud of your heritage, kayni. I always will.:)

    ReplyDelete