Saturday, June 18, 2011

Berlin Wall

Where do I start? 

After two weeks of travel, I have about 1,500 photos, tons of information and wonderful memories. It's a great feeling to forget work for a while. The problem is, I can't seem to find where to start blogging.

Our first stop was Berlin, Germany. Berlin has been on my list for a very long time, and finally setting foot on this city was a history overload. While in Germany, we traveled to Berlin and Potsdam. The highlight of Berlin for me is seeing the remnants of the Berlin Wall; this is one historical structure that I've read about over and over again. Although it doesn't serve its purpose anymore, its historical significance is overwhelming.

As it stands today, the Wall is not a symbol of divide but of unity and hope. Below are the photos I took of the current Wall. Ironically, the remnants of the Wall is now endangered due to people wanting to take home a piece of history.





Checkpoint Charlie is the crossing point between East and West Berlin.

A marker where the wall used to be.

Brandenburg Gate is one of the entries to Berlin. It is also an entry to Unter den Linden, a street lined with Linden trees.

More of Berlin and Potsdam soon.

8 comments:

  1. wow! i'd love to see the berlin wall! all those "meaning" and history attached to it!

    how are the germans? my mother said they are the least friendly among the europeans? i bet it's just a misconception. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting destination. i'm really looking forward to these coming entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah really the remnants of the wall are endangered. Grabe rin pla. I just hope people will realized that they are ruining a part of history.

    Will wait for more photos Kayni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to Berlin. Thanks for posting such beautiful photos of this city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah! i'm so excited na for another free tour and more stories here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand why people have to bring home a piece of history. Sigh.

    Looking forward to the next batch of stories and picture =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Grace, The Germans are quite nice. In my opinion, Iceland has the real pricks.

    @ Josiet, I'm with you. There's even part of the wall that's fenced na because people keep trying to break it into pieces.

    ReplyDelete