Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Graduate Finally

The past couple of weeks have been busy; I'd say good busy.

Last week, cousin A and I walked all over DC covering the White House to the National Mall and we managed to squeeze in a day visit to the Gettysburg National Park. We were so tired but happy. Nights were spent recuperating from exhaustion and sore muscles.

Although A's visit was short (two days), we got to talk a lot about our dads, they're brothers.  In the vast span of our 30s (she's 30 I'm 30ish), we've only met twice.  It's interesting how I felt close to her despite the lack thereof of us growing up as neighbors like the other cousins I'm close with. Anyway, I'm so glad we got this chance, and I'm hoping we'll make time to see each other more.

On the same week, my parents flew in from Honolulu. I was so happy to see them and of course looked forward to my island favorites - chocolate covered Macadamia nuts and my Portuguese sausages. If given the flexibility/opportunity at the moment, I'd love to go back to Hawaii and live there.

Of course, the highlight of last week was my graduation. Wohooo, I'm finally finished with my masters in international affairs. The next question is, "What am I going to do with it?" No worries, I'm figuring that out right now.  Funny but I'm more excited about getting my free time and weekends back.

grad
Taken on May 15, 2015 at Healy Hall, Georgetown University

Excerpt from my online album, "My heart is filled with gratitude and joy. My journey has been deterred by aplastic anemia, numerous blood transfusions, a bone-marrow transplant and most recently shingles. There were days I came really close to giving up, but the support of my family and friends kept me inspired.

This day is about faith in God when nothing is certain, hope when life throws curve balls, courage when nothing makes sense, and victory over any challenges that will knock on my doorstep. Thank you to my bone marrow donor. I would not be here without you. This day is a gift and no one can take it away from me."

20 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. Congratulation. God is really amazing God. There is hope for those who don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, He is amazing and I am so grateful to Him each day.

      Thank you, Joy.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your graduation, Kayni! So happy to see you triumphed after the obstacles that came your way. Take back and enjoy your weekends first... you deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sreisaat, Thank you so much. Yes, I am going to enjoy my free time first.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! How uplifting to share in your accomplishment even this little bit! You can VISIT here, but we both know that your career will thank you for NOT subjecting it to the tiny torture chamber that IS employment ops in Hawaii. Malama Pono, Dear!

    ( '>
    /))
    //""

    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahalo nui loa! I know. I wish there's more jobs in Hawaii. I really miss the sound of the waves and smell of seaweed.

      Delete
  4. Well done you for beating the odds and graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats sis and big hugs! Happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congrats!!! You are such a strong and hardworking woman. Idol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for your graduation! You deserve the good rest and enjoy your weekends after all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, Oh yes, I am looking forward to enjoying my free time and weekends. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations. God is good. He enabled you to prevail despite all the challenges you faced. Cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Congrats on your graduation!! You still have plenty of ime to figure out what to do. In the meantime, enjoy your freetime and weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and Happy graduation. Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. I am so happy that you made it and that it's all over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, congratulations Kayni! :) (my greeting's late, darn!) I'm so happy for you, you're such an inspiration. *insert slow clapping here* you must be proud of yourself for a job well done. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Congratulations! :) *sabog confeti* hihihi

    ReplyDelete