Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Hello From Dublin!

Good morning from Dublin, Ireland!

It's our third day and we're enjoying it so far.

Yesterday, I met Odette, she's one of my Iggy sisters.  We really enjoyed her company and we're so grateful she took the time to show us Trinity College and the General Post Office. I finally got to see the Book of Kells; my theology professor would be proud of me.

LongRoom

The main chamber of the Old Library is the Long Room, and at nearly 65 metres in length, it is filled with 200,000 of the Library’s oldest books. When built (between 1712 and 1732) it had a flat plaster ceiling and shelving for books was on the lower level only, with an open gallery. By the 1850s these shelves had become completely full; largely as since 1801 the Library had been given the right to claim a free copy of every book published in Britain and Ireland. In 1860 the roof was raised to allow construction of the present barrel-vaulted ceiling and upper gallery bookcases.
(Source HERE)

Today, we're driving to Galway with a stop at Clonmacnoise.  I can't wait!

12 comments:

  1. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought it was a cathedral - what an amazing library!
    Thank you for linking up at http://nawik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayni, what an amazing place! So, so many books! So breath taking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't see the Book of Kells when we were there, now I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome trip! Amazing library and photo. Thanks for sharing, happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, that's impressive! Have a great time in Dublin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoroughly enjoying! Thanks!



    ( '>
    /))
    //""

    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a grand library! Parang museum na nga sya tingnan. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This had been featured as one of the libraries to go to when visiting around the world. Thanks for sharing the photo, it looks amazing! what more for someone like you who got to be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just coming back from my own vacay so I'm a bit late. Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. impressive structure! i could stay in there for hours.

    ReplyDelete