Wednesday, April 1, 2020

My Utah Adventure

MD COVID-19 UPDATE: On Monday, March 30, 2020, Governor Hogan issued a stay-at-home order for the entire state of Maryland as COVID-19 cases has surpassed 1,400. Anyone caught violating the order will be guilty of a misdemeanor that carries a possible sentence of up to one year in prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000. I think we really need this because in the past two weeks of shelter-in-place, I still see groups of stubborn people playing basketball at the park. What can I say, people love their freedom.

This is our third week working from home, and we're making the most of it.

~~~~~~~~~~

For this post, I'd like to share my travel photos from Utah. In July of 2019, I traveled to Salt Lake City to attend a committee meeting. This was my first trip to Utah, and since my meeting was on a Thursday, I extended my stay through the weekend. It's one of the best decisions I've made in my life.


The view from my meeting room. I was more excited to go out rather than being stuck in a meeting room. I know, please don't tell my employer.


My meeting venue was just across the famous Salt Lake Temple. This is one massive, beautiful temple.

Lo and behold, right after my meeting, I rushed out to pick up my rental car and drove for three hours straight to Moab. All my research about exploring the Arches National Park points to Moab as a great place to base yourself. There are lots of hotels there. It was around 5 pm when I reached my first unplanned stop - Dead Horse Point State Park.

Dead Horse Point State Park was not on my itinerary, but when I was getting close to Moab, I saw the park sign, drove passed it, and decided to make a U-turn. I got to the park near sunset. Clearly, I made the right decision because the view is so beautiful. Here's a spectacular view of the Colorado River.

Here you can see from afar the potash evaporation ponds, where they harvest potassium chloride.

I waited for sunset at Dead Horse Point State Park. There were only a few people there, so it was very peaceful. With a beautiful view and the wind cooling my face, I felt relaxed and free. It was bliss. The next day, I joined an a tour company that specializes on off roading adventure to the Canyonlands. The beauty about off roading is to simply enjoy the humps and jostles of the ride. Of course, there are the occasional screams of fear when you car almost falls off the cliff, but that's why you sign a liability release document before taking the tour.

Petroglyphs at the Canyonlands.

The peak known as Big Chief.

I was amazed at how much this vehicle can handle.

Our driver told us this is where they filmed the last part of the movie "Thelma and Louise."

Colorado River.

Let me know if you see the arch.

We were so close to the edge, but the further you go up, the prettier the view.

The fascinating beautiful Juniper tree.

I can't put into words the excitement and awe seeing these rock formations.

If I am not mistaken, this is the Delicate Arch.

Fans of the Indiana Jones movies should recognize this site.

Twin Arches

Arches National Park

We caught up with this off roader.

I only had three days to explore Moab and the national parks. Kepi was so jealous when he saw my photos, so when we can travel again, we're definitely planning a trip back to Utah and perhaps spend a week or two just exploring the national parks.

8 comments:

  1. Ohh that off road tour reminded me of the sand dunes tours I took in Dubai, UAE. Yes, I did scream my head off when I thought the vehicle was free falling in the sand LOL It was scary but quite a thrill too, I was just in my 30s so I was fearless. Now if you ask me to join such a tour, I would probably pass and hide in my hotel room. :D Btw, gorgeous shots! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've heard about the sand dunes in Dubai. It looks really cool. I think I can do off roading again. I really enjoyed that off roading tour in Utah.

      Delete
  2. This brought back so many wonderful memories. My husband proposed at Delicate Arch and we hiked Arches National Park for a day. I was so hot and dehydrated I thought I was going to die. I remember seeing petroglyphs too. It's an awesome place.
    I've visited SLC twice as my husband's best friend lives there. The first timecard stayed with him but the second time we stayed in Park City.
    Lovely photos and thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, what a romantic way to propose. I'm glad my post reminded you of wonderful memories.

      Delete
  3. You beat me at posting the Utah adventure. I have been experiencing some laziness in the past months. Right now I can only muster one post a week, so I'm quite far behind still. The good thing is I don't have much in the cache right now except for that and the remainder of the Canary Islands cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way behind. I have trips from around 2015 that I haven't posted yet. This is a good time for me to catch up on my posts.

      I'd really love to go back to Utah. I think we'll go through Las Vegas on our next trip there.

      Delete