Monday, May 11, 2020

Colombia: Colorful Cartagena

Today, we'll travel to Colombia!

It was March of 2016 when we traveled to Colombia. The Zika virus was the issue then. Yup, another virus, so we were armed with long sleeves, mosquito face coverings and insect repellents.

We thought spring time would be best in terms of weather, but boy, we were so wrong. Cartagena felt sweltering and hot in the month of March.

Below are some photos I took during our Cartagena adventure:

Convento de la Popa offers a respite from the intense Colombian heat. The cloister of the convent beckons with  lush greenery including a robust bloom of Bougainvilleas. The convent was built on  Mount Popa  and thus offering a great view of Cartagena.








Castillo San Felipe de Barajas is a fortress in the city. It is located in the Hill of San Lazaro, dominating approaches to the city by land or sea.



Las Bovedas was built to house dungeons, but these days, it now hosts shops and boutiques. A good place to shop for good Colombian coffee.





Santo Domingo Church is a Dominican monastery built in the 1600s.





The Palace of the Inquisition is the 18th century seat of the Holy Office of the Inquisition. It now serves as a museum showcasing historical artifacts including torture equipment used on victims on during the inquisition.





Plaza San Pedro Claver is a great place to walk around. This is the place where I finally got my fill of green mangoes with salt.



Roaming the streets of Cartagena reminds me so much of the Philippines.


The top of the Cartagena Cathedral from a distance.


Here's part of a sidewalk dedicated to the numerous Colombian beauty title holders. 



17 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of Colombia. Thanks for sharing and taking me on your tour. I enjoyed it.
    Have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Have a great week as well.

      Delete
  2. Just before the covid-19 quarantine our friends are inviting us to join them to tour Colombia this August (dont know if that will push through afterall) and we were tempted, except that I didn't have enough vacay time.

    The flower in my photo is quite confusing. I used to grow this called red hot poker, blooms are the same, but the plant is not like aloe like this one is. Someone told me it's aloe plant with blooms, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My company is switching to an open vacation policy. I'm not sure if it's a good thing because there's some limitation. I need to find a different job. I feel so burnt out.

      Thanks for the flower's name. It's so pretty. I've never seen the blooms of an aloe.

      Delete
  3. I just love the colourful clothes and buildings but the best thing of all is the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I was mesmerized with the colors and buildings too.

      Delete
  4. Yes it seems the Spanish style architecture in Cartagena is the same as in some small provincial towns here. Very nice to see Cartagena through your pictures. I only know of it in movies about drug cartels. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of Cartels, the thought of them never left my mind while I was visiting.

      Delete
  5. Kayni! Colombia is one of my dream countries that would seem far-fetched for me to visit in the near future because it's so pricey to travel from our islands to South America. So I really am happy with you taking us here today! I am very much amazed that a lot of their history and culture is very much the same as our here. I love the beauty title queen's walk, that's also another thing the Philippines share with Coombia, our love for pageants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many similarities between our country and Colombia. I was so excited when I saw the title queen's walk because I know how we're crazy about beauty pageants as well. To top that, we have many beauty queens to be proud of.

      I hope you'll get to visit Colombia in the future. We both love travel and it is an expensive hobby. But, it's a good investment I always say :).

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. These photos are great. That must have been a wonderful and educational trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, Thank you for stopping by. Yes, it was a great and educational trip. I'd love to visit but perhaps in December when it's a lot cooler.

      Delete
  7. It is so beautiful and colourful. I love the pops of gold best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a colorful city and yes, the pops of gold are eye catching.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for popping to my blog and leaving a comment :)
    Lovely photos and I do like those arches and flowers are just beautiful.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, thank you for stopping by. I agree, the flowers are beautiful.

      Delete
  9. I have to admit that I don't know much about Colombia. Your photos make me want to visit this country. How very beautiful! I love the architecture, the colors and that convent is just lovely (oh the cloister!).

    ReplyDelete