Thursday, May 7, 2020

Skywatch at Papakolea Beach


Green Sand Beach or Papakolea Beach or Mahana Beach, Big Island, Hawaii

It was a hike to reach Papakolea. You can also hitch a ride with some locals providing some paid rides to the beach, but we opted to walk. The beach is carved in a 49,000 year old cinder cone from the Mauna Loa volcano that contains green crystals called olivines.

This beach has three names: 1) Papakolea beach after the kolea bird often seen behind the beach; 2) Mahana beach after the cinder cone responsible for the green color of the beach; and 3) Green Sand Beach.

This post is my submission for Skywatch Friday.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful sky, water, beach, and the cliff. A perfect SWF post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the green tint in the sand. Postcard perfect photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, it looks just like some of our beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to put this area on my Bucket List. OMG...green sand, ocean, sea being in Hawaii again. Thank you for reminding me how this place feels like home. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha! It was quite an experience for us. I hope you'll get to see this place soon too.

      Delete
  5. This is straight from paradise Kayni! What beautiful green sand! We don't have those in our own islands here right? not that I've heard of. Happy Weekend Ate! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember if we have green beaches in the Philippines. I heard the pink sand beach though. I want to go there.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Awesome sky, ocean and beach photo ~ sure looks inviting ~

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a picture perfect! Such a beautiful beach. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  8. You walked???????? How long did it take you? We took the scary fun "angkas" at the back of a pickup truck without harness, we were holding on to the railing for dear life. So much fun. But the beach is simply incredible. I just wish there were less people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how beautiful. what would I give to walk on the beach this year, sigh...

    ReplyDelete