Tuesday, May 19, 2020

My Favorite Photos from the Island of Malta

Are you ready to go on another Malta trip with me? Today, I'm posting my favorite photos from the island of Malta.

Since our hotel is in Valletta, we spent a lot of time exploring the Old City especially the Upper and Lower Barrakka Gardens. I like the Lower Barrakka better because it has a great view of the Grand Harbour. Unfortunately, photos I took at the Upper Barrakka didn't come out so well. Below are photos I took at the Lower Barrakka Gardens.

Siege Bell War Memorial


This Monument to Sir Alexander Ball was built in 1810. It's a memorial to Sir Alexander Ball, a British admiral who was the first Civil Commissioner of Malta.




We thought it would be best to join a walking tour to understand the history and connection of the Three Cities - Birgu, Senglea, and Bormla. One of the things stuck in my memory from the tour is that the Three Cities are tightly related to the order of the Knights. Apart from the fascinating history, you get fantastic views.


View of the Valletta medieval walls from the boat.

Vedette Tower watching over the the Grand Harbour.

Grand Harbour

Mdina: The Silent City is a fortified city and served as the island's capital from antiquity to the medieval period. The city's winding streets is a good place to get lost.

This was used as the entrance to King's Landing in the series Game of Thrones.



St. Paul's Cathedral






Outside of Mdina, we stopped by Crystal Palace to taste their Pastizzi. We were told they make the best Pastizzis in town. We really enjoyed the Chicken Pastizzi.


Tarxian Temples were built between 3600 and 2500 BC. This complex is the largest prehistoric site on the islands and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.






The fishing village of Marsaxlokk is such a wonderful place to visit. It's so relaxing watching the blue boats floating on the water. We decided to have lunch at one of the shops near the harbor. The view is hard to beat!





The Blue Grotto area is where you can find picturesque sea caverns on the south east coast of Malta. The sea caverns are accessible by boat. We did not join any of the boat rides, but we hiked around the area and we were absolutely enthralled with these beautiful views.






Our trip to Malta was a spectacular experience. I do hope to visit again and include Comino island on the itinerary.

I hope you enjoyed our trip today. Take good care and stay safe.

13 comments:

  1. Kayni!!! These adventure photos you shared are UH-MAZING!!! The Game of thrones setting is such a dream and that alley you were standing on is still very vivid to me during the last scenes when they were gunning for the Red Keep! That Pastizzi looks super duper good and I would love one now! Thank you for sharing all these Kayni, you are making Malta a dream place for me now to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stevenson, We really enjoyed Malta. It's a really beautiful place to visit. I'm glad you like the photos, and I hope you'll visit it in the future.

      Delete
  2. I don't know whether my first comment made it so I'll try again.
    Mdina is my favourite place in Malta. I went to school there for 5 years and have always lived close by.
    Marsaxlokk is a great place for a seafood meal. We like it there, especially in winter when it's quieter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed Mdina and Marsaxlokk. We were there in December, so Marsaxlokk felt quiet and relaxing. You're so lucky to live in a beautiful place.

      Delete
  3. I really loved Malta - we didn't do it justice tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Photos alone doesn't do justice for places we have seen personally. Experience is the best thing.

      Delete
  4. Great photos!!! This place looks so intriguing - the architecture, the boats, the food - awesome trip, I'm sure.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/05/back-to-archives.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so envious of you getting to stay in Malta. It's still on the top of my bucket list.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have captured it so beautifully! I want to go there now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow fantastic! Oh King's Landing, I recognize it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Pictures of Island of Malta. I so love traveling but I think Now for Next few years will not be able to go anywhere because of this Coronavirus thing. But can still enjoy these places on the blogs like yours, Have a Nice and Safe Day. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating place! I love all the old architecture and the narrow lanes.


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a beautiful place to explore. Your photos are absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete